Pages

Popular Posts

Friday, May 01, 2009

We Found a Turtle!

I am so relieved! All our son wanted for his birthday was a turtle. Daddy has been searching for weeks to find him one. We had a few friends in on the search as well.
One of Daddy's (high school) students found one. But it was a snapping turtle. My eyebrows went up initially. I thought, "This may be good. It won't hurt the boy to get one snap, as much as he talks lately."
But the rational parent part of my brain kicked back in and declined. Actually we were gonna keep that one on stand-by just in case we could not find one in time. Today is Friday and his birthday is Sunday. We almost gave up hope.
Then today I bumped into a parent of a child in our son's class. She was talking about his birthday party. While talking about it she asked what he was into or what he wanted for his birthday.
"All he wants is a turtle," I laughed. "And we are having a time finding one."
The mom bent down to her daughter.
"You wanna give him one of our turtles?" she asked.
Surprisingly and fortunately the little girl said yes! And they came back 15 minutes later with the turtle, a year's supply of food, a book on red eared sliders, and a short informational session on its care. What a blessing!!
The family is moving to Las Vegas in a few weeks and were planning to free their turtles- they have a second one- before they leave. So this worked out so well. The may give us the second one closer to their departure.
So our son has been so engaged with this turtle. We have already gone out and purchased some items for "Myrtle's" new home. That was our son's name for the turtle.
"What if he poops on me?" he has asked. He and his sister thinks it is the funniest thing to say the word "poop".
"Mama! Myrtle is probably gonna have babies soon and lay some eggs," he suggested.
Before I thought about it I opened that door-
"Naw. Myrtle needs a mate to do that."
"But how the turtles gonna get married and have babies?"
Before I could answer he suggested something else-
"Mama. Can you and Daddy get married again so you can have another baby? I want a baby brother."
HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND? DO YOU NOT SEE THE CARE INVOLVED IN RAISING YOU AND YOUR SISTER? I MEAN COME ON- EVERY OTHER WEEK DUDE WORKS MY NERVES AND YOU WANT ME TO TAKE THOSE VOWS AGAIN? YOU AND YOUR SISTER ARE DOING SO MUCH THAT I HAVE THINGS TO BLOG ABOUT EVERY WEEK, IF NOT EVERYDAY! I CAN'T JUST PUT SOME WATER IN A TANK, ADD A RAMP AND A HEAT LAMP AND DROP IN A FEW PELLETS OF FOOD EVERY MORNING FOR THE THREE OF Y'ALL!
"No baby. Myrtle is your new brother," I smiled. "Be happy with that."
"Mama... Myrtle is a girl." "MYRTLE," he emphasized. "Dove."

No comments: