Pages

Popular Posts

Sunday, November 26, 2006

"If You Can't Say Amen.... Say Ouch!"

The other day I'm driving along the highway, when an old song comes on the radio. I turn it up and sing along- "It's gettin' hot in here so take off all yo' clothes... I am gettin' so hot I wanna take my clothes off..." Oblivious for a moment that the two little ones are in the back. "Cut it down mama," one said. "That used to be mamma's song," I say while turning it up. They are in the back with their hands over their little ears. Sometimes you just wanna hear something other than Kidz Bop or Nursery Rhymes, ya know?
Then Sunday after church services, I'm chatting with two other moms about how we have to be mindful about what we expose our kids to because their minds are like little sponges. Well we are standing there in the middle of the foyer, being "prim and proper"- sharing how we only do the right things and go by the books when it comes to raising our children. "You know they say our kids are reflections of us," one friend smiles. We all fold our arms, nod and give an, "Amen!" when we hear singing a few short steps away- everyone in the foyer looks at two kids singing and dancing, "It's gettin' hot in here.. so take off all yo' clothes..." then their voices grow louder, "I am gettin' so hot, I wanna take my clothes off." My five-year-old smiles at me and says, "That's my mamma's song." I feel myself melting like the witch in Wizard of Oz. The two women slowly turn and look at me and all I can say is...."ouch!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your kids are going to be the death of you!