Pages

Popular Posts

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Smoking Isn't Cool

There is a commercial- I guess it could be considered a PSA about the results of smoking. There is a woman talking, using one of the devices covering her throat. It makes her sound a little robotic or something. Well... my two little ones saw the commercial.
They had been around the house holding their throats talking- mimicking her and I didn't realize it at the time, so I never said anything. I just thought they were being their little entertaining selves as usual. Maurissa is an aspiring actress.
The commercial came on tonight and we were all in the room together.
"Mama. Watch this lady- it is so cool!" one screamed.
"My name is Maurissa and this is my brother Myles," she said, trying to copy the lady's voice.
"No! No! No!" I told them. "That's not cool."
They were dumbfounded.
"It's not?"
"No. That lady has to talk like that because she smoked. That is the point of the commercial- to get people not to smoke!"
They sat for a moment then went upstairs... still holding their throats, talking but trying to do it softly. It had not impact on them whatsoever. Those two little ones got the wrong message.

No comments: