Pages

Popular Posts

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Now That's Scared!

Playing around with our son the other night and I decided to do what my parents and friends' parents did when I was little. I decided to scare him. Now, when we were little we enjoyed it- being chased by adults or the adults hiding and jumping out to scare us when it was dark.

Let's set the scene: Daddy and our daughter were hanging out downstairs. He was watching TV while she created animations on the laptop. They were sitting just a few feet from the stairs.

I was chasing our ten-year-old son around upstairs. At one point I decided to let him get ahead of me. I backed up and turned the hall light off. This light is left on for them at night so they can easily navigate to the bathroom the ten-year-old won't be scared at night.

All the laughing immediately stopped.

"Mama?"

"Mama, I know that was you."

I didn't move.

He darted into his room and closed the door. Then locked it.

I crept up to his door and put my ear up to it, smiling.

I could hear him pushing his chair up to the door. I muffled my laugh.

Then, I heard him hit the floor.

"Mama? I can see your feet!"

Well why don't you come out.

So I just tiptoed to his sister's room a few feet away and sat on the floor. Waiting to see how long he would act scared.

No act.

Daddy's cell phone rings downstairs.

"Hello?" he said.

"Daddy... can you tell Mama to come out and stop trying to scare me?"

"Where are you? Are you upstairs in your room calling me?" Daddy asked. "And why are you whispering?" he added.

Shocked, I almost gave in but the youthful, mischievous girl in me decided to play a little longer.

I quietly walked downstairs and motioned for Daddy not to say anything nor rescue him yet.

I went back and scratched on his door. He pushed the chair closer to the door.

"Okay Mama, stop playing!"

I went back to his sister's room to wait.

I didn't hear anything from him for about two minutes- just his TV. I assumed he just got wrapped up in a show or something.

Then...

"Daddy. Please come tell Mama to come out."

I heard Daddy walking upstairs while he had him on the phone.

"Okay. I'm upstairs now and Mama's not gonna scare you anymore," he assured him, while making a face at me.

He moved the chair and came out of his room.

"See Mama. I knew it was you!"

Well, why didn't you come out then?

"I had to use the bathroom," he revealed.

"Well go to the bathroom then," I told him.

"I already went."

Daddy and I both stopped and looked at each other.

Before we could ask, he came out of his room with a cup. It was clear so I could see what looked like Mello Yello. But I knew it wasn't- we don't buy sodas.

Not sure how long my mouth stayed open.

"I know you weren't that scared that you peed in a cup!" Daddy yelled. "You can't be scared in yo' own house boy! And we were all here too!"

I closed my mouth but opened it again long enough to add, "And you are about to be a tae kwon do black belt dude."

I almost didn't blog this one. #soembarrassed

No comments: