Pages
Popular Posts
-
It's unfortunate but we are going to have to make some adjustments to prayer requests and praying with our seven and nine-year-old. Last...
-
This New Year's Eve the family went to church for Family Communion. Our two little ones are lucky- they don't have to sit in church...
-
So our oldest will be finishing her last year of middle school this year and our youngest will be starting middle school. Big transition fr...
-
I love family night! We try to make sure that we drop everything and read at least one night a week, and we make time to do something fun to...
-
The other day I'm driving along the highway, when an old song comes on the radio. I turn it up and sing along- "It's gettin ...
-
Today was the first day back to school! It was the first day of third grade for our daughter, first day of first grade for our son, first da...
-
Back in December (2013) a 34-year-old South African was in the spotlight for allegedly faking sign language during the memorial for leader,...
-
Lately I have been so busy and school is not back in yet. I mean it's not as if I am not used to being busy but today I got a wake up ca...
-
This blog could actually just be posts about our son's trips to the doctor. I have quite a few posts about that on here over the years. ...
-
I told our two NOT to go to school today and gloat about Obama's victory. On the drive to school I overhear Myles telling his sister th...
Thursday, July 17, 2014
Look How Far We HAVEN'T Come
When I began blogging, our youngest was in a car seat. We'd discovered he was extremely scared of people in costumes while on our first family trip to Disney World. While checking in our room, there was someone dressed in a Detroit Lions' costume in the lobby. Our daughter did her overly happy, Forrest Gump wave to him/her but our three-year-old son reacted a little differently. Not exaggerating- he ran up Daddy's six foot frame so quickly, and sat on his bald head kicking and screaming! Once we got to our room he crossed his short legs and said,
"Let him come up here and see what happen." (He was THREE)
We didn't realize how big his fear was until we got to Disney World. Our daughter was in heaven. All the characters were out it seemed, the first day at Magic Kingdom. She ran to get autographs and pictures with Tweedledee and Tweedledum! Her brother, ran the opposite way and jumped over the red, roped off area. You know the areas around the nicely manicured lawns...where we AREN'T supposed to walk, stand or sit.
Oddly he is okay with people in some Halloween costumes. There was the one time when he was about four and we were trick-or-treating in the neighborhood. He was dressed as Batman! He and his sister were ringing a doorbell.
"Trick-or-tWeet!" he and his sister yelled.
They got their candy, turned to walk down the driveway to us and here comes his nemesis...the Joker!
I thought it was cute.
He dropped his bag of candy, let go of his sister's hand and ran through their yard. He actually cleared the ditch as if he were walking on air! Daddy ran after him...he didn't see the ditch. After an expletive or two he caught him. Kids seem to get supernatural strength in times of distress. He was fast!
Well, he's about to start middle school (sixth grade) next month. Of course he's no longer in a car seat BUT he is still scared of people in costumes. He actually googled this phobia and asked me to find him a therapist.
"You are gonna have to do something because it will be tough if other middle schoolers find out...not good," I advised him.
He would eat Chick-fil-A everyday if he could but we have to get it to go. There's a chance the cow could come out. And I know what you may be thinking: let him see someone put the costume on so he will see how it works. Nope! Tried that. No rationalizing from that 11-year-old. We shall see what happens. His school does have a mascot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Are you going to try for therapy? It's not often that a young male (or any male, really) ASKS for it! Maybe you should jump on that while he's willing & before he turns all Tom Cruise on you!
Already talked with someone. Made an appointment. You are right...when they ask for help...gotta get it for them.
Post a Comment