During the last thunderstorm, our son said, "Shh!"
Laughing, I told him, "It's okay. It's just thunder."
"At Grandma's house we have to turn everything off and we can't talk," he informed me.
Shaking my head, I walked to the window to see if the rain was letting up.
"I remember those days. We had to sit quiet until the storm was over but I thought it was only for lightning."
Either way, it was one of the many stories I have about the old days of growing up. Didn't realize she was still doing that.
"Grandma said we need to do the same thing at home."
I explained to him that it was okay and that my mom had probably grown up with someone telling her that and she passed it on.
I started thinking about my younger brother. Now just behind me at 43. During those times when there was a storm, not only was he quiet, but you could find him clinging to the bed; under it. He would sweat as if he did something really bad. I would get in trouble for laughing at him.
Still can't, for the life of me, understand why we couldn't talk during a thunder storm.
"Thunder is just sound. It's a little different from lightning," I said.
Our son shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know but Grandma gets really serious 'bout that. We can barely move until it's all over."
Pages
Popular Posts
-
On December 25th, 2006 the Godfather of Soul, James Brown passed on. Believe it or not, two other shining stars were lost on the same day bu...
-
This New Year's Eve the family went to church for Family Communion. Our two little ones are lucky- they don't have to sit in church...
-
I got really good laugh today! I posted, on Facebook, for my status that I was gonna have to lay the right-hand of fellowship on my kids. ...
-
I was expecting a phone call. Maybe a visit from my administrator. I'd bitten my nails down too far. Not knowing if there would be reper...
-
Today was the first day back to school! It was the first day of third grade for our daughter, first day of first grade for our son, first da...
-
My memory isn't what it used to be but it was pretty good when I was younger. Spending summers at my Godmother's house helped with ...
-
Bedtime tonight was such a hoot. Our son didn't have a good day at daycare today, but our daughter got an "O" for Outstanding...
-
I thought I hurt Wilbur enough in the car a few months ago, enough that he would not be heard from again. I was wrong. So Dude (he's bee...
-
Daddy and I are just not great at having "serious" discussions with our kids. We have good intentions... believe me. But then that...
-
Don't think because I have not written in a few weeks that we have not had any comedy in our home. Nope. I'm not sure if there is ...
No comments:
Post a Comment